Two spreads (title page, using a public domain image modified in Photoshop, and first spread of the text) from a recently published satirical novel that pokes fun at consumer society, religion, corporate culture and more. (I didn’t design the cover, so it’s not included here.)
I used public domain woodcuts from the 15th-17th centuries, sometimes modified in Photoshop, to evoke the religious themes and keep the design from getting into the text block rut. I love the strength of lines and the pure black and white of old woodcuts, and they’re fun to manipulate.
(I made the text nonsensical to avoid offending anyone, but I couldn’t take the illustrations out. If they offend you, I apologize.)
A (faked) 3d image of the most recent book in the Chicago Studies on the Middle East series. I’ve done the covers and page layout of every book in the series. The book came back from the printer in early May, 2010. 305 pages, hardcover with dust jacket, 2 maps, 3 appendices, an 11 page index, and blue cloth with the spine die-stamped with gold foil. Link to its sale page coming soon.
A few pages from the first chapter. Lots of footnotes in this book (thousands) and lots of diacritics to keep track of. (Click the little arrow next to the X at the top of this box to see a larger image.)
Three pages from Appendix B (there are 3: A, B and C), showing the tricky and treacherous family trees. Managed not to get anyone in the wrong spot, which was a constant fear. (Click the little arrow next to the X at the top of this box to see a larger image.)
Some pages from the index. It’s a long index. 11 pages. Making an index is tedious and very time-consuming, and there are many ways to mess it up. There’s also something slightly fun about it sometimes, when the process starts to feel vaguely like solving a puzzle. Mostly it’s just tedious and repetitive, but I’ve done enough of them to make it go pretty quickly and keep it accurate. (Click the little arrow next to the X at the top of this box to see a larger image.)
The front panel of the dust jacket of a newly completed scholarly monograph (hard cover). The image (from a mid-19th century work) originally had all the ships clustered against the shoreline, so the entire drawing was a narrow, horizontal rectangle. I moved some out further so the drawing would better fit the vertical rectangle of the cover. I also slightly enlarged those ships to give a little bit of perspective.
I made these (faked) 3d spreads to show the layout of a recently completed project. Since the book is not yet out, I filled these with placeholder text. Wouldn’t want to spill details of the book that the author hasn’t released. There are two versions of the book: a printed paperback with black and white pages and a PDF ebook with color pages. These are based on the ebook, but with different colors than the real one.
Two more spreads from a recent project (using placeholder text because the book is not yet out and I don’t want to spill anything that shouldn’t be spilled). These are faked 3d images, not photos of the actual book.
The cover of a mystery novel. This is the paperback cover—click HERE to see the dust jacket I designed for the hardcover. The handprint of ashes relates to the subject of the book (mysterious arson in Boston in the early 1960s) and the main character’s discovery of his own identity.